Dry Eye Treatment
Relieve the discomfort of dry, itchy, and irritated eyes.
Dry eyes affect a significant number of individuals in the United States, causing discomfort and irritation. It is estimated that over 16 million Americans experience this common condition.
What are the common symptoms of dry eye?
Everyone experiences dry eye differently due to the various underlying causes. Typical symptoms include:
- Redness or irritation, leading to bloodshot eyes
- Persistent burning or tingling sensations in the eyes
- Itchy eyes or a feeling of foreign objects in the eyes
- Increased sensitivity to bright lights or sunlight
- Excessive tearing or constantly watery eyes
What causes dry eye?
Dry eye can have multiple causes, including environmental factors and short-term inflammation. Some common causes of chronic dry eye problems include:
- Meibomian gland dysfunction
- Eyelid or eye structure abnormalities
- Certain medications
- Abnormal eye pressure
- Insufficient tear production
Since the underlying causes can vary, the treatment methods after diagnosis will also differ for each patient. It is not uncommon for multiple factors to contribute to dry eye.
How is dry eye diagnosed and treated?
Our skilled team at Meridian Vision utilizes imaging techniques to assess the meibomian glands, measures tear film osmolarity, and conducts screenings for specific conditions to diagnose dry eye accurately. Treatment options may include:
- Prescription eye drops to alleviate inflammation
- Targeted treatments for the oil glands
- Blinking exercises or proper eyelid hygiene
- In cases where infection is the cause, low-dose antibiotics may be prescribed
- Artificial Tear regimen
Dry eyes not only cause discomfort but can also impact the overall health of your eyes. Find relief and improve your eye health by scheduling an appointment at Meridian Vision. Dr. Hogg is committed to helping you achieve optimal comfort and clarity for your eyes.